DJ Profile: DJ Psycho DPosted on February 2, 2012
Psycho D is a professional DJ performing in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut areas. He is the winner of a CHAUVET® Trident effect light in a DJ Warz contest presented by Rhythm City DJ Skool at Guitar Center in Hallandale, Fla. Of the 14 DJs who signed up for the contest in the beat mixing and scratching categories, Psycho D impressed the judges with his scratching skills and won first place.
1. How and when did you get started as a DJ? What types of events do you do?
I began DJing in the early ‘80s and took it full time in the ‘90s. I am a professional disc jockey playing every genre of music. I perform in clubs, concerts, hall and holiday events and radio shows.
2. Is this a full-time job or something you do on the side? If it’s a side job, please let us know what you do full time.
This is my full-time career. I am the music director for FONYE Radio. I spin in clubs and at weddings around the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
3. What fixtures are included in your setup? What are you looking to add?
My setup includes two Technics DJ Turntables, two CDJ players, Virtual, Traktor and Serato DJ software, the Trident from CHAUVET® and the Circus effect light, which is now in demand in a lot of clubs. The Circus is good and has excellent features of directional lighting. I have been using the Trident in clubs and I like its transition of lighting, the voice recognition, the brightness, everything. We had it on for an entire night and it did great.
5. Best advice you can give someone just getting started in the DJ industry?
Learn how it all started with vinyl, then work your way up to CDs, then learn the programs.
6. What are your top three most requested songs?
My most popular songs are “Otis” by Jay-Z & Kanye West, “Bon, Bon” by Pitbull and “N****s in Paris” by Kanye West & Jay-Z.