DJ profile: DJ DROPosted on December 14, 2011
Meet Pedro Valdes, aka DJ DRO, from Miami, Fla., who has been a DJ since he was only 13.
1. How and when did you get started as a DJ? What types of events do you do?
When I was about 13 years old, leaving middle school and entering high school I downloaded a trial version of VirtualDJ and began to mix off my keyboard and mouse. I do all types of events in the Miami area like quinceañeras, sweet 16 parties, weddings, bachelor and bachelorette parties, school and corporate events, house parties, kid parties, and I DJ at some bars/lounges.
2. Is this a full-time job or something you do on the side? If it’s a side job, please let us know what you do full time.
I DJ on the side and for now I work full time as DJ & lighting/pro audio/technology sales associate for Sam Ash Music Stores in Miami. I run mostly the lighting room.
3. What fixtures are included in your setup? What are you looking to add?
I currently own a CHAUVET® Swarm, Kinta X, Hurricane 1300 fog machine, and some other fixtures. I am looking to add uplighting like some SlimPAR fixtures and flat panels and DMX them. I would also like to get the MotionFaçade LED to make my setup look clean, more professional, and was considering adding a follow spot and a gobo projector and the new lasers like the Cirrus and the Scorpion GVC.
4. What is your favorite fixture and why?
My favorite fixture in my setup right now would be the Kinta X. I love the area it covers and all my clients love that light, the colors, the way it goes with the music and the effects. Its design and lightweight structure make it so much portable, which is a big plus when you’re a mobile DJ.
5. Best advice you can give someone just getting started in the DJ industry?
Don’t listen to what other people have to say. At the end of the day it’s you, not them. So, give it all you got and make it count.
6. What are your top three most requested songs?
“Give Me Everything Tonight” by Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer. “I Have a Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas. “The Time” (dirty bit) Remix by Black Eyed Peas.