DJ Quartz is a passionate DJ from Canada’s Saskatchewan province with 20 years of experience in the DJ industry.
1. How and when did you get started as a DJ? What types of events do you do?
I was inspired to become a DJ while immersing in the hip-hop culture, listening to music and seeing hip-hop videos and movies featuring DJs. I started my DJ career in 1992 after seeing the movie “Juice.” I experimented with making pause tapes, and played with an old turntable I was given for Christmas in 1989. I spin at a variety of events from weddings, radio spots, club nights, carnivals, special events, fundraisers, youth events, store appearances and more.
2. Is this a full-time job or something you do on the side? If it’s a side job, please let us know what you do full time.
I used to do this on the side for many years, but has become a full-time job for me since 2010. I’m also a technical analyst by trade, so I use that knowledge to drive the technical side of my DJ career and let the creative side handle the rest.
3. What fixtures are included in your setup? What are you looking to add?
I currently have American DJ and Martin fixtures because they were the most available products to me at the time. However, I have heard the CHAUVET® name more and more in the last few months and I would like to start using CHAUVET® products.
4. What is your favorite fixture and why?
Currently, one of my favorite fixtures is the Jellydome from ADJ because of its effects, but my next purchase is the CHAUVET® Hemisphere 5 effect light.
5. Best advice you can give someone just getting started in the DJ industry?
My best advice is if you love what you do, go for it…period. Have confidence in yourself, be positive and manage your money correctly.
6. What are your top three most requested songs?
The top three requested songs right now are “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO, “I’m Sexy and I know It,” also by LMFAO and “A$$” by Big Sean.